Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Early Riser

This is totally unrealated to the blog post but I thought they were cute pictures so I've posted them anyway. When Grantham was 5 weeks old, Jamie went on a business trip to St. Louis and went to a Cardinals game. He came home with this t-shirt and hat. Obviously, they were something that Grantham had to grow into. We thought about them recently and put them on him. We could barely squeeze him into the t-shirt so these pictures are the only time he'll ever wear it :) Maybe we can re-visit the hat when he's a little older...I think it's more a toddler size.

Most of you probably already know (because I talk/complain about it all the time :) that Grantham is an early riser. By early riser I mean he wakes up every morning between 6:00 and 6:30. Now, just because he wakes up at that time doesn't mean we get him that early. We actually leave him in his crib for 45 minutes to an hour every morning. He pretty much just plays in there happily until we go get him. Our thought when we first started this is that he would figure out that he was going to have to stay in there by himself for an hour so maybe eventually he would just sleep an extra hour...well, not so much! We have tried everything we know to get him to sleep in a little later. I would LOVE for him to sleep until 7:00 but let's be honest...if he would just consistently sleep until 6:30 I think I would be happy. Every time we try something new it seems to work for a few days and then we're back to the butt crack of dawn. We've tried putting him to bed earlier, later and blacking out his room and nothing seems to work for more than a day or two. Finally we've just resorted to putting him to bed super early (6:45 PM) because he seems to wake at the same time regardless of when he goes down. One night when we were traveling, he didn't get to bed until 9:30 and he still woke before 7:00! We just figure if we put him to bed earlier at least he's getting some extra nighttime sleep. This is my final attempt to change it...if anyone has any personal experiences with their own children or suggestions they are welcome. If we can't "fix" it after this...I'm just going to accept it and move on. Thanks for your help :)

As a side note, I don't want to seem ungrateful because I am very thankful that he sleeps 11+ hours every night...I just wish it was from 8:00 PM to 7:00 AM instead of 7:00 PM to 6:00 AM. Oh well, I guess we don't always get what we want!

4 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better....We have joined that "early riser" club as well. We are down at 7:30pm and ready to start the day at 6:30am. Just look at it as more time with your little punkin!!! Besides, isn't it amazing what you can accomplish by 8am?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That does make me feel better. I think some kids are just programmed to start the day early. Thanks for sharing Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he may get that naturally. His Dad was an early riser. He woke about 6AM each morning after going to bed around 7:30 or 8:oo. I got up about 5:30 each morning so I had the privledge of giving Jamie his breakfast and spending time with him. As Megan said it was a great chance to spend more time with my little punkin. I looked forward to each morning getting to spend time with my son. At this point in his life Grantham's little brain is soaking up all the sensory data it can and the more he can absorb and assimilate the better and richer his development will be. Maybe you will be able to think of a way to take advantage of those early morning hours while he is awake. He certainly is a wonderful little boy and I love him very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with Jimmie, my boys were both early risers; Adam and Matt, but Amanda would sleep from 8pm-8am!I tried to get them to sleep longer, but there little minds were ready to get started early! Great quality time, not alot of stimulation with them laying in bed on their own. At this age it is so important.I often wondered if I would ever get to sleep in, I finally did when they were in middle school!!By then, I had to make them get up.

    ReplyDelete